We all know that we are more susceptible to colds and flu during the winter months as the colder weather and lower temperatures place an additional stress on our body’s ability to function normally. We also are more confined to the indoors, where fungal and bacterial micro-organisms can more easily invade and impact us. Two very common household items can be incorporated into your daily routine to boost your immune system naturally and help ward off colds, flu and infections, and achieve better health – Salt and Baking Soda:
Fully Mineralized Salt can kill or inhibit the growth of organisms. The human body is .9% salt and is constantly maintaining the salinity in our bodily fluids, such as tears, mucous, blood, urine and perspiration. This salinity is necessary to clean up unwanted elements in the fluids’ chemistry – such as microorganisms, pesticides, hormones, chlorine, etc. Salt works quite naturally with our chemistry and physiology as humanity has evolved with its use. Salt is also the basis of our electrolyte system and is necessary for the body to conduct its electrical currents. Without salt, we face serious consequences – death being the most dire; deficient immune function, fainting, dehydration, nausea or indigestion, and constipation being other signs of salt deficiencies. We recommend the following tips for using fully mineralized salt that will assist and boost your immune system naturally this winter:
- Sprinkle salt on your food and in your cooking.
- Drink small amounts of salt (a pinch to a ¼ teaspoon) in a glass of water.
- Place salt in a neti pot to wash out the nasal passages. This reduces the number of organisms entering through these passages that your immune system will have to address.
- Make a solution of 20 % salt and 80 % water and place it in a spray bottle. Spray into the nasal passages and mouth to inhibit the growth of organisms that purportedly cause influenza.
Baking Soda is an alkaline and another form of salt. Rather than inhibit the growth of organisms, baking soda causes yeast-like organisms to explode or crenate, further assisting immune function. We recommend the following tips for using baking soda:
- Add 1/3 cup to the bath and rub on the face and skin to get rid of organisms while bathing. Yeast and fungal organisms continually migrate back and forth from the interior of the body to the skin. This will any alleviate any itching you are experiencing.
- Use as an exfoliant for the entire body.
- Apply it like a talc to the pubic area and perineum, avoiding the vaginal vault, to reduce fungal organisms transmitted during sex (yeast is naturally found in the vagina). The outer layer of skin that has been covered with baking soda will peel off over a few days, leaving the area free of any itching, yeast and fungal. This is a good technique for proper hygiene for both males and females, and especially for females experiencing sensitivity during and after the sex act.